In today’s session with writer Jennie Wood (Flutter, A Boy Like Me) the topic of sticking with a project is discussed. You’ll hear how Jenny drew from personal experience to craft a story that really resonates with readers and how Flutter came together. She’ll also share insight from her experience on Kickstarter and teaching comics and graphic novels in Boston.
Today’s Session is brought to you by
Club ComixLaunch on Patreon.
Get your free Club ComixLaunch VIP Insider bonus Kickstarter resource at ComixLaunch.com/club.
Session Table Setting
Show Updates / Shoutouts
NYCC – When this goes live, final day. Hopefully won’t get slammed with con flu.
The ComixLaunch Gameplan is coming soon. 3-Part Training series to get you focused on the right things as 2016 ends so that you roar into 2017 a man or woman with a plan!
If you are on the ComixLaunch email list, you’re getting it.
If not, ComixLaunch.com and sign up top bar.
What is Today’s Episode About?
My guest today is the writer of the critically acclaimed comic book series Flutter, which has been hailed as one of the best LGBT graphic novels of 2013 and 2015 by The Advocate. Flutter has also been featured on an episode of Law & Order: SVU, and been highlighted in the New York Times & Boston Globe. She is also the author of the YA novel “A Boy Like Me” and an ongoing contributor to the New York Times best-selling FUBAR comic anthologies. She also teaches graphic novel and comic book writing at Grub Street, Boston’s independent writing center.
Welcome to ComixLauch, Jennie Wood.
I’m really excited to talk to you because it’s always a pleasure to spotlight creators in Boston area who are doing very interesting things.
What is Today’s Episode About?
Guiding Discussion Questions
1) One of the recurring themes we drive home on this show is the importance of owning the “why” behind your work. Can you tell the ComixLaunch audience more about Flutter, and why this was a story that you had to tell?
2) You’re working with Jeff McComsey, whose been a guest on this show before… and this book is definitely a change of pace from FUBAR. How did the Flutter project and team come together?
3) A lot of creators find themselves working on a project and weighing the back and forth of should I take it to Kickstarter or should I take it to an indie publisher. Over Flutter’s history, you’ve actually had experience doing both. How have you approached getting this story into readers hands? What’s worked and what’s been a struggle?
4) You’ve taught graphic novel and comic book writing at Grub Street. How do you structure your courses and what have you learned working with aspiring writers?
1) Finish this sentence: “Kickstarter is _______.”
2) Let’s the pretend the powers that be at Kickstarter are listening (which you know they are)… if you could change one thing about the Kickstarter platform, what would it be?
A way to reach out to people who don’t get Kickstarter and think it’s just for handouts.
3) What’s your secret weapon? (Meaning a tool, resource, app, etc. that you couldn’t make comics without?)
Do what you need to do to make it fun
4) Fulfillment is where even successful Kickstarter creators often drop the ball… Do you have a fulfillment tip for our listeners?
(If haven’t fulfilled yet, throw in Promotion.)
5) Can you recommend one comic (not done by you) more people need to check out?
Miriam Libicki ‘Toward a Hot Jew’
In a moment, I’m going to give you today’s ComixLauncher, but first, we need to thank our sponsor…
ComixLaunch listeners, are you ready to take your crowdfunding game to the next level?
If so, I’d love for you to join me and your fellow creators inside Club ComixLaunch on Patreon.
I’ve opened Club ComixLaunch to help continue and expand on the ComixLaunch mission of increasing the number of creators equipped to harness the power of the Kickstarter platform to bring amazing independent projects to life.
As a Club ComixLaunch member, you’ll have access to a number of exclusive perks and privileges, such as:
- A shout out on the ComixLaunch Podcast for you and your project.
- Access to the ComixLaunch Club exclusive Patreon feed for even more mindset, strategies and tactics to get your project funded.
- The ComixLaunch Club Insider Monthly Kickstarter Resource which might be a guide, checklist, cheat sheet, template, or bonus training video designed to help you launch.
- Priority enrollment in ComixLaunch Courses
- Discounts on Courses, Books and Upcoming Premium Products
- You can even sponsor an episode of the ComixLaunch podcast through Patreon.
And as the Club Grows, so do the perks…
See, there is a direct correlation between listener support and the value ComixLaunch can provide, and as the club expands, we hope to offer:
- Monthly Kickstarter Page Critiques
- Club Exclusive Chats and Q&As
- Bonus Sessions of the ComixLaunch Podcast.
- Full podcast transcripts for every episode.
- And much more!
For as little as a dollar a month, you can access Club ComixLaunch today, help keep the podcast going and improving, and take your crowdfunding game to the next level.
Membership has its privileges, and to get a taste of them absolutely free, please go to ComixLaunch.com/club and download a free Club ComixLaunch VIP Insider bonus resources today.
Let’s get you ready for your best launch yet!
I’ll see you inside the Club!
It’s time for today’s ComixLauncher.
A ComixLauncher is a short, actionable activity you can do immediately after listening to the show. They’re all activities I’ve done myself, and will get you one step closer to a successful ComixLaunch. They’ll transform this Podcast from a passive, lean back activity centered around Tyler James, into an active, lean-forward activity centered around YOU and your projects.
Are you telling a story that ONLY YOU COULD tell?
Share results @ comixlaunch.com/voicemail or in an email [email protected]
Wrap Up Questions
1) One final piece of advice
2) What has you most excited?
Flutter – Currently 77% funded on the way to its 8.000 goal.
3) What’s the best way for listeners to connect?
Hope you enjoyed that conversation with Jennie.
The ComixLaunch Gameplan is coming Monday Aug 17th.
ComixLaunch Mastery will be opening its doors.
ComixLaunch Mastery is the new flagship program the represents the absolute best training I have to offer creators looking to take their careers to the next level by growing a fan base and leveraging the Kickstarter platform to bring new projects to life.
Two Programs in One!
ComixLaunch Mastery is a comprehensive training that includes two proven programs that you will complete over the next five months, culminating in the successful launch of your own Kickstarter project.
In the ListLaunch program, you’ll learn exactly how big an audience you’ll need to fund your next project and then embark on a step-by-step process to grow and engage that audience and connect with them in the most effective
Then, in The ComixLaunch Course, you and small group of like-minded creators will learn everything you need to know to plan, launch, fund & fulfill your Kickstarter project.
ComixLaunch Mastery will open for enrollment the last week in October, and will begin November 1.
ComixLaunch.com/course to get on the priority notice list.
Next Week: The One Thing I wish I was told and took action on sooner in my creative career…
We’re going to go even deeper into both mindset, strategies and tactics for making KS work for you.
Thank you so much for listening, and for letting me walk with you, as you taken another step forward toward your next successful ComixLaunch.
Have You Subscribed, Rated, or Reviewed ComixLaunch Yet?
If you’ve enjoyed this Session of ComixLaunch, I need you to do me a favor… actually, I need three favors. Please Subscribe, Rate and Review ComixLaunch on iTunes.
They’re the rocket fuel this show is running on, and the sooner you do it, the more powerful your action will be. Don’t wait to give us some love!
Provide a rating, 1-5 stars and leave an honest review.
This can be done in less than 2 minutes and could make HUGE difference to the show.