One of the best parts about writing historical fiction graphic novels, is doing research into fascinating people, times and places in the past. However, it also represents a challenge of determining how to best incorporate that research into your work. In this mastermind session, writer Shaun Manning brainstorms systems and processes for weaving rich history into compelling historical fiction.
Highlights of this Session include:
- Balancing getting the history right with telling an engaging tale.
- The power of having beta readers with an expertise in your subject matter.
- Showing vs. telling and how much a reader really needs to know.
- Plus: Hear honest feedback from a creator mastermind group that Tyler assembled back in June who have been meeting regularly for support and accountability.
This Session’s Sponsor:
The ComixLaunch MasterMind. If you would you like to meet once a month with a group of serious, like-minded creators to talk about your projects and creative business for mutual support and accountability in the new year, go to ComixLaunch.com/mastermind and get on the interest list.
New Groups will be forming in December and start meeting in January!
In the Mastermind Hot Seat:
Shaun Manning is the writer and co-creator of the historical graphic novel Macbeth: The Red King, which was recently funded through Kickstarter, as well as Hell, Nebraska and Interesting Drug. He has also written short comics for Star Wars Adventures, Dark Horse Presents, the Thought Bubble anthology, and more.
In the Mastermind Round Table:
- Sebastian Chow is the London-based writer and artist of the Kickstarter funded feline space race series, CATAPULTED.
- Darryl Jones is a comic book creator, designer, and creator of the successful fantasy board game Dobbers.
- Ryan Summers is a Chicago-based director, designer, animator and educator… and soon to be podcaster.
- Carmelo Chimera is a lawyer and comic shop owner by day, and a comic book creator by later in the day.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Show:
Get on the ComixLaunch MasterMind Interest List –> ComixLaunch.com/mastermind
Patreon Special Offers Handbook –> https://docsend.com/view/kye8mxq
Running a Special Offer Video –> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awpBJMli9Ps&feature=youtu.be
More About Our Sponsor:
Tough question time…
Right now, how many people are there on this planet who:
Know exactly what it is you’re trying to create this week, this month, this year, in the next five years, and in your lifetime.
Genuinely want you to succeed and regularly think about what they can do to help you on your mission.
You trust can offer good, knowledgeable support & advice and will always tell it to you straight, even if it’s not what you want to hear, but what you NEED to hear.
You meet with on a regular, consistent basis to talk about these things because the relationship is a PRIORITY in your life.
How many people do you have in your world right now who fit that full description?
There was a small group of high performers and achievers, creators you respect the hell out of and admire…
…and they constantly had YOU on their minds.
Imagine you were meeting regularly with this group of high achieving creators who could support you, include you, connect you and create with you?
WOULD THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR CREATIVE BUSINESS AND YOUR LIFE?
If you think it might, I’d like to invite you to learn more about the ComixLaunch MasterMind groups starting up in 2019.
Go to ComixLaunch.com/mastermind to get on the interest list and to sign up for one of two live info sessions taking place in December.
Do you have BETA readers? What if you assembled a small group of BETA readers for 2019?
How to Find Out More About Today’s Hot Seat Creator:
Twitter and Instagram: @FasterthanShaun
“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” -Albert Einstein