Writer Rich Douek and artist Joe Mulvey, the creative team from ComixTribe’s new dark fantasy series Wailing Blade, stops by to share tips for building epic worlds for your characters to play in.
Highlights of this session include:
- How you can go as crazy as you want when building your world, as long as you remember to do one important thing.
- A simple test artists can put their characters through to see if they’ll stand out.
- One key resource you must create that will tie your world together and unlock new story potential.
- Plus: Why patience is a virtue when it comes to bringing your epic worlds to life.
This Session is Sponsored by
Gemini Comic Supply. Use discount code “ComixLaunch” at checkout and get 10% off COMIC FLASH MAILERS at geminicomicsupply.com
Today’s Featured Guests:
- Rich Douek is an award-winning copywriter, and the creator of the independent comic series, Gutter Magic. He has worked on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Universe comics for IDW, and has published short stories in the New York Times-featured All We Ever Wanted anthology, for A Wave Blue World, as well as anthologies for Comixtribe and Red Stylo press. Additonally, he is a moderator of the Comics Experience Creator’s Workshop.
- Joe Mulvey is creator, writer and artist of Mummy’s Always Right and SCAM from ComixTribe. Freelance Illustrator, storyboard artist and graphic designer from New York City. Husband and father of two adorable little girls.
Links Mentioned in this Session:
More About Our Sponsor
Hey, are you getting ready to ship rewards to all your awesome backers?
With more than a decade of publishing under my belt, I’ve shipped my fair share of comics and graphic novels over the years… so you bet I was SHOCKED to realize I’d been doing it all wrong!
One of the most overlooked aspects of the Kickstarter process is your shipping materials, which is a shame, because how your package arrives is often the last impression your campaign will make on a backer, and will be a big factor in whether they choose to support you again.
And yet, I can’t tell you how many creators out there are disappointing their backers by shipping comics and graphic novels in shoddy packaging.
For the longest time, I was using and recommending rigid stayflat mailers for comics shipping… only to hear back from upset fans that their packages were decimated by a mail carrier who must hate them.
No more though.
I now use COMIC FLASH MAILERS from Gemini Comic Supply and the shipping complaints have all gone away.
COMIC FLASH MAILERS are engineered specifically to secure your comics and graphic novels.
They are constructed with high quality durable corrugated paper, while still being lightweight to reduce shipping costs.
Each mailer has a flexible capacity and is perfect for shipping single bagged and boarded issues or up to 12 comics or a few graphic novels in a single package.
And here’s a pro-tip: COMIC FLASH MAILERS slip comfortably into a FLAT RATE LEGAL envelope, which can save you 50% or more on the cost of shipping domestically, depending on the weight.
I reached out to Bryan Kelly at Gemini, told him I was a huge fan of his company, and secured a special deal for ComixLaunch listeners looking to upgrade their shipping game.
Just use COUPON CODE “ComixLaunch” at checkout at geminicomicsupply.com for 10% off your very first order at Gemini and treat your books and backers with the care they deserve.
After listening to this episode, what’s ONE tip you’re going to apply to the world YOU are building?